Hi! Think I belong here
Hi there. My son was diagnosed with AS in the fall, he is 5. I think both my husband and I share shadowings (or more) of AS. But since I'm 39 I don't know if it is worth going for a diagnosis. I've done a couple online tests and the results all come back as Aspie traits. But when I tell my mother, sister and husband they all tell me "no doctor would say you have Aspergers". So I am very frustrated.
I have always felt different. I am awkward and I guess weirdish. But I am not a savant, nor do I think I have any special skills or obvious obsessions.
I used to be really into vampires, and I read "Interview with a Vampire" over and over and over and over. And other vampire novels. But I didn't and don't monologue about that or only talk about that.
I used to watch "Titanic" and eat mac n cheese (Lipton's Sidekick cheddar sour cream flavour only) over and over, but is that an obsession? I read another book over and over and over "Jackaroo" by Cynthia Voight.
I have been obsessed I guess with medical issues (my own) such as Rosacea, then Polycystic Ovary Syndrome/fertility and now Aspergers. I read or have read everything about these topics at time of interest and yes, talk about it non-stop now that I think on it. Does that count? I don't know.
I have sensory issues.
- Loud sounds scare/bother me.
- Bright lights, expecially sunlight or sun on snow (ow).
- And I have the strongest sense of smell. I have always smelled things before others and can smell someone smoking in the car in front of me which can be verified by driving past them and seeing the guy holding the cigarrette.
- Small sounds that others don't hear, I hear and am bothered/irritated by until I figure out the source.
- I hate, hate, hate pruney hands (like if you are in the bath too long). I can't touch them or have someone touch me with pruney hands (like my kids or husband)
- I have to correct grammar/spelling errors if I see them. It annoys me to no end when I see published things with errors in them. Typos happen, but not when things should be edited! My sister's name is Lindsey. People forever spell it "Lindsay" with an "a" instead of an "e". It made and makes me furious when it is misspelled. My husband's name is Laurin. People always spell his name wrong and it makes me so mad!!!!!
I am 39 and have no friends. I haven't since I was in my 20's. I don't know how to talk to new people. I need to plan out what to say to people and when someone deviates from my expected conversation I don't know what to do.
I try to talk to others about what you are supposed to talk about - weather, complain about kids, husband (even if I don't have any complaints, I make stuff up within reason because it'd to make conversation) but I think I do it wrong.
I got my real estate licence because I hated that when I was a receptionist at a real estate office the agents were seriously stupid - I mean I did all their paperwork and I knew I could do that. Plus I like houses/condos. BUT I DON'T LIKE NEW PEOPLE. So my husband came along as a helper at first then he got his licence and we worked as a team together. But anytime I had to be alone I was terrified.
Before I became a real estate agent I hated working in the office. I hated being treated like I was stupid because I answered the phone and typed things. I hated when the girl I worked with was lazy. I needed it all done properly. And I had "fits" if things weren't right or if she was late to work. I hated when she was late - I took it as an insult. She stayed late, but I thought she should be there on time.
I worked in a coffee shop in my early 20's (I dropped out of college because I was constantly uncomfortable) and we had a list of duties to do on our shift. I hated it when my coworkers didn't do the items on the list. When they goofed off and didn't do the list.
I am currently a stay at home mom and it is so much easier than working with people.
I usually have 4-6 lists in my purse at a time. I sometimes write and re-write the grocery list because it isn't orderly.
I like to have the same daily routine - I load the dishwasher the same every time for instance.
I feel stressed when I have to go out, I hate to go alone. My husband takes care of me, without realizing it.
Greetings and welcome to AWN!